Executive Board Meeting agenda – November 21, 2014

November 21, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. in C1047

1. Approval of the agenda

2. Approval of the minutes

3. We have found our secretary! Welcome, Vanessa!

4. Re-registration with SUS

5. Ashley and Katie have to go to the bank. This week.

6. We donated to Louden Singletree.

7. Let’s be better about room bookings, scheduling, and making students aware of our meetings now that we have a secretary. Thanks, Vanessa!

8. GradChat was cancelled

9. ESA president gets to go to English dept meetings every month now

10. Let’s work hard on getting that peer help set up for winter semester

Executive Board Meeting minutes – October 27, 2014

October 27, 2014 at 9:30 a.m. in C1429

 

Attendees: Katie, Valerie, Ashley

Regrets: Kodie

 

 

  • Approved agenda.
  1. Approved minutes from October 20, 2014.
  2. GradChat event coming November 4 — class visits!
    • Between Wednesday and Monday (October 29 – November 2) we should aim to cover at least 12 classes.
      1. Target upper level classes.
      2. Four people, three classes each.
  • Katie will take 360, and 363. Ashley will take 312, and 311.
  1. Email the professors in advance and Katie will put together talking points by Wednesday and email them out (post on Facebook group).
  1. All Hallows’ Read happening this Wednesday, October 29!
    1. Val bought candy, because who doesn’t love candy?
    2. Refreshments? Val will talk to Louden to see if they can cover the drinks since ESA is looking after decorations, candy, and prizes.
    3. PUMPKINS! Val will pick up two pumpkins, and Ashley is donating one. Maybe we can carve ESA and/or Louden brand on them?
    4. Each host should bring something to read.
    5. A sign-up sheet should be put together for readers.
    6. Who will be MC? Ashley volunteers! :)
    7. ETS equipment is ready for pick-up. Ashley will pick-up and drop-off. Need someone to setup: Val says she can ask Jeff.
    8. Prizes: Val will pick up a $25 Bookstore Gift Card, and two bags of candy around $10 ($5 each).
      1. First place prize (Gift Card) to most elaborate costume, and the two candy bags for scariest and funniest. There might be overlap?
    9. Treasurer updates.
      1. All receipts have been found! YAY! Will begin paying people back as soon as next meeting. Because we all love money.
      2. Annual budget has been drafted.
      3. When you hand in original receipts, Ashley will make copies and give them back so we all keep our records organized.
      4. As a rule: if you buy something for ESA, produce a receipt or you will not be paid back. Allow for at least a two week period to be repaid.
      5. Have budgeted for a donation to Louden, but will wait for their fundraiser to contact us first. We have budgeted for a donation of $300 maximum.

 

  1. ESA needs a secretary!
    1. Katie has a list of people who might be interested.
    2. We will open the next meeting to new people.
    3. In order to re-register we need a formal secretary to sign. No secretary, no ESA registration. :(
    4. Vanessa Broadbent has expressed interest in the secretarial position. Ashley talked to her today.

 

  1. Adjournment.

 

Executive Board Meeting minutes – October 20, 2014

Monday, October 20, 2014 at 9 – 9:38 a.m.

C 1429, UFV Abbotsford campus

Attendees

         Katie Stobbart (President)

Valerie Franklin (Vice president)

Kodie Cherrille (VP, secretarial duty)

Ashley Mussbacher (Treasurer)

Anthony Biondi (Dude-at-large)

Heidi Luhmert (Alum)

 

  1. Agenda approval
  • Kodie requests adding a point: Storytelling.
  • Ashley requests: receipts.
  • Agenda then approved.

 

  1. Approval of previous meeting’s minutes

 

  1. All Hallows’ Read
  • Alisha (from Clubs and Associations) to approve posters. Val to bug her.
  • Decoration-picking-upping.
    • Ashley allots $20 for a dollar store splurge.
    • Shopping time to be determined between Ash and Val.
  • Pumpkin donation by Dessa?!
    • Thank you, most benevolent human-in-chief.
    • To be a donation pumpkin for Louden?
  • Refreshments (candy and maybe coffee)?

 

  1. Association re-registration
  • Some form must be submitted to claim we still exist.
  • This must happen before the end of November.

 

  1. Grad Chat, November 4
  • 5 grads, who are doing stuff with their English degrees, explaining their stuff-doing.
  • Speed-dating extravaganza to happen after that.
  • ESA asked to do promotions via class visits and sharing the event on Facebook.
  • This is put on by the Career Centre and English Department.
  • Discussion point: Ashley smells nice.

 

  1. Peer tutoring/help for 100- and 200-level English students
  • Different from peer mentoring: bridges the gap between peer mentoring and Writing Centre.
  • Heidi: This sounds like the SLG.
  • CCR opportunities.
    • Heidi: is CCR becoming more of a thing?
    • Kodie: Yes, it’s becoming more and more included nationwide.
  • Ashley: We should have a contract with student mentors and ESA to prevent any perceived liability issues.

 

  1. Storytelling
  • Kodie had an idea for a nonfiction storytelling event: tell us about a fascinating/weird/beautiful/awful/[adjective ]thing that has happened in your life. He says he sees a lot of storytelling events like this happening in Vancouver, and there’s a cool podcast called The Moth, and a couple of CBC shows with a similar idea.
  • Ashley: To make it good, we’d need criteria, a time limit, and maybe a panel of judges.
  • The winner could get something like food or a drink or something.
    • Anthony: This is like The Canterbury Tales!
    • Kodie: Putting a TCB-spin on the event would be so rad.
  • January might be a decent time to hold this event.
  • Workshop opportunity: “how to tell an interesting story.”
    • Val recommends talking to Raymond Welch and Michelle Riedlinger: they’re communication profs, and they know how to make a piece sparkle with awesome.
  • Doing posters for this event would be a decent idea.

 

  1. Ashley still wants receipts.
  • Did you buy a thing on behalf of ESA? Did you want to be reimbursed? Whoyagonnacall?
    • Chorus of children : Ashley!

Executive Board Meeting agenda – October 20, 2014

Monday, October 20, 2014 at 9:00 a.m.

C1429, UFV Abbotsford Campus

 

1. Approval of agenda

2. Approval of minutes from October 6 meeting

3. Halloween reading October 29

4. Re-registration by November (Katie)

5. GradChat event November 4 (Katie)

6. Idea: peer tutoring/help for 100 and 200 level English students (esp. courses like ENGL105) from experienced upper-level students

Executive Board Meeting minutes – October 6, 2014

Attendees:

         Katie Stobbart (President)

Valerie Franklin (Vice President)

Kodie Cherrille (Vice President, secretarial duty)

Ashley Mussbacher (Treasurer)

 

  1. Agenda approval.
  • Kodie requests adding a Louden discussion point.
  • Agenda then approved.

 

  1. Approval of previous minutes.
  • Ashley: could you make the ESA minutes a bit more boring?
  • Discussion ensued re. whether a boring set of minutes would be useful or detrimental.
  • Kodie to stop using so many exclamation marks, and maybe use Times New Roman font (“or comic sans!” – A.).
  • I ask the reader of these minutes to listen to the Seinfeld theme song at this period of time, as such a conversation was deliciously redundant. Someone call Larry David.

 

  1. Band account update.
  • Katie and Ashley set up the ESA account. The lady was very accommodating.
  • Katie tracking down receipts. ESA expects to give back about $200 to those who bought stuff for ESA events.

 

  1. Department meeting recap.
  • Katie went to an English department meeting. It was super cool.
  • Faculty really receptive about crash-course / workshop idea.
  • Faculty: ESA should ask students what they would like to see.
    • Facebook poll
    • Face-to-face conversation
    • ESA Exec (Lord) Board to be the digital crucible where we hammer out poll questions.
  • to vote on whether ESA will go to subsequent meetings.
  • Kodie: workshop material should be accessible online after the fact as a useful resource for future students.

 

  1. Reading planning.
  • AfterMath’s usually taken.
  • Wednesdays at 7 p.m. an okay time?
    • Discussion ensued re. reading specifics.
  • It looks like Wednesday the 29th at the bookstore!
  • Loudeners to discuss at the coming Louden board meeting.
  • Bookstore top choice for open-mic area.
    • Discussion: what should we bring to a spooky reading?
    • Streamers, spider webs, spooky poetry.
    • Costume contest?
    • Invite professors!
    • Donation pumpkin for the Louden
  • ESA execs cannot be in any contests.

 

  1. New friends.
  • Katie to get in touch with new ESA friends.
  • Vanessa Broadbent cannot come to 9 a.m. meetings on Monday, as she has class.

 

  1. Class visits and talks
  • We still have bookmarks and buttons!
  • Tony and Val are making bookmarks for the Louden, they can easily get some ESA bookmarks printed at the same time.
  • Ashley to send digital version of Louden bookmark to Val.

 

  1. Room bookings: the saga continues.
  • We may need to find another room to reserve (and at another time) in order to get Vanessa Broadbent on board.

October 6, 2014 – Executive Board Meeting agenda

Monday, 6 October 2014, at 9:00 a.m.

C1429, perhaps without booking it

 

1. Approval of the agenda—anything to add? Stick it on the end.

2. Approval of minutes from October 1st meeting

3. The herald angels sing: we have a bank account!

4. The English Department Meeting

5. Let’s set up our first reading somewhere.

a. Thursday nights at AfterMath are usually taken.

b. We could set up a reading at the bookstore.

c. We could set up a reading at Finnegan’s.

d. Somewhere else on campus? Outside-the-box thinking?

6. For next meeting, Katie will finally get in touch with our new friends.

7. Has anyone talked to his or her classes yet about the fantabulous parliament [of owls] that is ESA? Also we still have buttons from last year. Also we should really get on having bookmarks or bookplates or something cool like that.