June 25, 2014 – Executive Board Meeting agenda

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 at 3:30 p.m.

Room B133

  1. Agenda approval
    – That agenda, in constant need of approval! If there’s any other business, add it to the end.
  2. Minutes approval
    – Because everyone has read them in preparation for the meeting.
  3. Bank account status
    – We should really get going on this and pay people back before they disappear. Otherwise we’ll also have to pay for postage.
  4. Little free library update
    – I think we still need to go a-shelving!
  5. We should join U-Join!
    – Because that’s how we get super cool English students to check out their super cool association of… you guessed it: English students!
  6. Teaming up for winter formal
    – A bunch of associations want to throw a party with us. Do we want to throw a party with them? Katie has the details.

June 11, 2014 – Executive Board Meeting minutes

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 at 3:30 p.m.
Room A233

Meeting chaired by Katie Stobbart (President)

Minutes taken by Jeff Hughes (Secretary)


Katie Stobbart (President)

Valerie Franklin (Vice President)

Jeff Hughes (Secretary)



Kodie Cherrille

Sam Bhattacharjee



  1. Agenda Approval
  • The Agenda was approved after agreeing to remove discussion of the campfire.
  1. Minutes Approval
  • The minutes from May 28, 2014 were approved.
  1. Bank Account Status
  • Valerie to investigate account status with Sam. About funding for LFL when Sam returns.
  • We still haven’t received the total cost for the grad party.

Katie: We can’t pay cover our costs until we get that.

  1. Little Free Library
  • Still need to acquire a bookshelf.
  • Once acquired, decoration will begin.
  • Suggested decorations include George, the ESA mascot and Hedwig from the Harry Potter series.
  1. Campfire Storytelling
  • Campfire item returned to the agenda.
  • There were no fire bans at potential campfire locations. Will have to check again closer to the event.


  1. Other Projects/Business.
  • Great Gatsby Party in Harrison. Valerie is attending and will share this event on the public ESA board.
  • Jeff wants to get a talk or workshop on the rhetoric of science set up for the fall semester. He will research more on this idea. Katie doesn’t think it’s something the ESA would sponsor, but supports looking into it for further information.

Meeting adjourned at approximately 4:00 PM.

May 28, 2014 – Executive Board Meeting minutes

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 3:30 p.m.
Room C1429

Meeting chaired by Katie Stobbart (President)

Minutes taken by Jeff Hughes (Secretary)



Katie Stobbart (President)
Kodie Cherrille (Vice President)
Jeff Hughes (Secretary)

Valerie Franklin (Vice President)
Sam Bhattacharjee (Treasurer)

Yuya Harada


  1. Agenda Approval
  • The agenda approved. Certain sections to be postponed due to absent executive members.


  1. Minutes Approval

Katie: I wrote down some changes we need to make on the minutes from May 14. Does anyone else have any changes?

  • There were no more changes.


  1. Final Constitution Approval
    1. Logo

Katie: I think that we should postpone the logo talk until Valerie is with us.

  • Kodie and Jeff agreed with Katie.

Katie: The final constitution, are we okay with giving it the rubber stamp?

  • Kodie and Jeff both give the constitution a nod.



  1. Grad gala contribution

Katie: The grad gala contribution, this is sort of left over from last year where we told the English department that we would cover half of the expenses for the grad gala up to $200.

  1. Bank Appointment
  2. Little Free Library

Katie: I’m sad to say that Sam and Valerie are not here today.
We can’t discuss the bank appointment or the free library.

Katie: Everything is hinging on the bank account, we have some expenses piling up.


  1. Daniela thank-you

Katie: The Daniela thank you was approved by last year’s board. They are planning a dinner with her and ESA will be paying for her dinner.

  • Need to figure out when and where.


  1. Other Business

Kodie: I said online that I have emails to send, I brought copies so we can all see them.

  • The emails meet the approval of all.

Katie: When we send email from ESA it is okay to say in the email which one of us sent it.

Katie: We have to change our names on the ESA page on the school website.

Jeff: I filled out the form for a room booking and got a reply saying it is being processed.


Meeting adjourned 3:59 p.m.



Spearhead project proposal: Little Free Library

Proposal to install a Little Free Library on campus

By Valerie Franklin (Vice President – Otter)

May 14, 2014


WHAT: A Little Free Library is a public bookshelf that works as a lending library on the honour system. Readers take a book or leave a book, and are encouraged to leave a friendly note for the next reader on the inside cover of the one they just borrowed. The English Students Association would be responsible for visiting it at least once weekly to maintain the structure and its content (for example, magazines, tracts, and other materials may be removed).


WHY: A Little Free Library is a great way to promote a love of literature, especially in the busy world of academia which often keeps students from reading for pleasure. In addition, leaving post-it notes with personal book reviews inside the front covers of the books would promote a sense of community, making the experience of borrowing books a little friendlier for the next person. An LFL would also promote ESA’s presence in the school, particularly if the association’s name was painted somewhere on the structure or if ESA bookmarks were tucked inside the books.


WHEN: Our goal is to complete and install the LFL this summer so that it’s operational by the first day of the Fall semester.


WHERE: Many LFLs are placed outdoors in neighbourhoods or parks, but due to the costs of creating a weatherproof structure (and possible damage to the books with insects, leaks, snow, etc.), ours will be installed inside one of the campus buildings. We must have a structure and know where we want to put it before we can ask for permission to install it (see “HOW”). There are many spots on campus where the LFL could find a good home: in the Great Hall, where people often have to line up or wait to get into OReg; in one of the many lounge areas, like in A300 overlooking the bus stop, or in C building outside C1429; in U-House; or simply in a high-traffic hallway. It also wouldn’t be very difficult to move it, and it might be fun to move it to different locations every semester.


HOW: The first step is to get a structure. Val is waiting to hear back from the library about extra bookshelves; if they don’t respond by our next meeting, we will discuss our alternatives as a group (options include getting a secondhand bookshelf from MCC, or getting the Trades students or Jess Wind to build us one). The next step is to choose a location. Then we have to get permission from the university to place it there; Martin Kelly can help hook us up with the right people for this. Once we have received permission to install our LFL on campus, we will paint it, place it in the chosen location, fill it with books, and put up a sign explaining the rules of an LFL.


What we need:

-Permission to put a bookshelf in a corridor or lounge

-A bookshelf in good condition

-Paint (perhaps the VA department can help?)


-Optional: a charter sign, making it an official Little Free Library ($34.95 online)

-Optional: an LFL stamp, preventing resale of the book ($12.95 online)

May 14, 2014 – Executive Board Meeting minutes

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 3:30 p.m.

Campus Green

Meeting chaired by Katie Stobbart (President)

Minutes taken by Jeff Hughes (Secretary)



Katie Stobbart (President)
Valarie Franklin (Vice President)
Sam Bhattacharjee (Treasurer)
Jeff Hughes (Secretary)


Kodie Cherrille


  1. Agenda Approval

The agenda was approved.


  1. Minutes approval:

Katie – There are some changes for 3B.

  • Dessa corrections ads in The Cascade.
  • Dessa drew the George owls we’ve been using.

Minutes from May 7th have the rubber stamp after changes are made.


  1. New Blog:

Katie – Thanks Valerie, for putting together our new blog.


  1. Constitution Review:

Katie – Now we‘re going to look at our lovely constitution.

  • Many changes were discussed and can be viewed in the newest version of the constitution.
  • Selection or creation of an official logo needs to occur before constitution updates are completed.


  1. Set up bank account appointment
  • Bank account set up schedule to be done on Facebook.
  • Katie, Sam, and Valerie to make appointment based upon when they decide to go.
  1. Other Business

Sam: Please assign me something to do if I miss the meetings for work.

Katie: We can do that. Also, if you have any notes for our meetings that you might miss send those to me.


See Valerie’s attached proposal for little free library.

Katie: We should make our own instead of using the “Little Free Library.”

  • An ESA branded free library would allow ESA to better advertise itself.



Valerie: I spoke to someone in the science department, his name is Benjamin Tremblay. I emailed him about letting us know when there are events in the science department. I spoke to him as a member of the Cascade but he was receptive to the idea.

  • May delegate attendance of these meetings to another member—perhaps Kodie, since he expressed interest in interdepartmental events? Will talk to him.